We appreciate that funding is a significant issue for students wishing to undertake a postgraduate degree. We have a range of scholarships available as well as funding provided by UK and international government bodies, the European Commission, funding trusts, a number of research councils, industry and employers.
University of Leeds Scholarships
A minimum of one Petroleum Leeds Scholarship will be available annually for students applying for the MSc in Exploration Geophysics or the MSc in Structural Geology with Geophysics. You cannot apply directly for this scholarship but you will be automatically considered if you have applied for an Industry scholarship, and are not in receipt of any other source of funding. Scholarships are worth £5,000.
There are twenty excellence scholarships of available for students wishing to take an MSc course relevant to the petroleum industry based in the Faculty of Engineering. These are available to UK/EU and International students. Click here for more information.
Industry Funded Scholarships
We have a number of studentships available for UK/EU students wishing to study Exploration Geophysics or Structural Geology with Geophysics. These are sponsored directly by industry and range from partial awards to full scholarships that cover fees, living costs, and project and conference attendance allowances (e.g. the EAGE). Industry scholarships usually include a summer internship at the sponsoring company. If you are eligible for these scholarships you will automatically be considered for them and may be called to an interview. For more details click here.
We have recently secured a number of industry scholarships for students wishing to study for an MSc in Oilfield Corrosion. If you require any further information please contact the School of Mechanical Engineering Postgraduate Admissions Team.
Other Funding Sources
- The Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain (PESGB)
- Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- London Petrophysical Society
- Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
- Goa Education Trust Scholarships
- Esso Angolan Scholars Program
- Nigeria LNG Overseas Scholarship Scheme for Postgraduate Study in the UK
- Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme
- Chevening Scholarship
- Marshall Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Entente Cordiale Scholarships
- Other funding for international students to study in the UK (link to the British Council)
Details of other scholarships available at the University of Leeds can be found via the scholarship database.