Petroleum Leeds offers a range of funding options for research degrees in petroleum related subjects. Projects are available in all our research areas with funding available through industry funded research groups, research councils and Marie Curie training networks. We also accept employee funded students or those who wish to self-fund.
You are classified as either a ‘UK/EU’ or ‘international’ student for the purpose of assessing tuition fees. International students will pay a higher fee than UK students as the fees for UK and EU students are subsidised by the UK government. The fees listed below are meant as a guide only. Please check with the admissions team for your research area for accurate information.
Details of fees can be found here.
When to pay
Fees must be paid in full before you can register as a postgraduate student, unless you will be paying for yourself. If you are self-supporting you can pay fees in two installments, the first payable at registration. If you are supported by your government, employer, or other sponsor, you should provide a letter from them addressed to the University, confirming that the fees will be paid directly. Sponsors cannot pay by installments. For further information visit the University’s website.
How to apply
- For engineering projects click here for details of how to apply and entry requirements.
- For earth science projects click here for details of how to apply and entry requirements.
Other Funding Sources
- Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- London Petrophysical Society
- Erasmus Program Scholarships
- Marshall Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Entente Cordiale Scholarships
- Leverhume Trade Charities Trust
- FindAPhD Postgraduate Funding Awards
- Faculty of Engineering
- School of Earth and Environment
- Other funding for international students to study in the UK (link to the British Council)
- FIDERH (Fund for Development of Human Resources) for Mexican students
- COLFUTURO for Colombian students
- CONACyt for Mexican students
- CONICYT for Chilean students
- SENESCYT for Ecuadorian students
- University of Leeds Alumni bursary
- The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 (Industrial Fellowships)
Details of other scholarships available at the University of Leeds can be found via the scholarship database.