The Institute of Functional Surfaces (iFS) combines first class facilities with highly experienced staff to offer a diverse range of services to industry.
- Experience of a wide range of materials including stainless steels, Co- and Ni-base superalloys, Titanium, coatings etc.
- Full range of electrochemical tests (DC/AC/Noise/SRET) (Critical Pitting Temperature, Critical Crevice Temperature, Weld Integrity)
- Tribocorrosion tests (Erosion-corrosion, sliding wear, cavitation corrosion, abrasion)
- Salt spray tests
- Atomic force microscopy (dry or in liquid and with coupled electrochemistry)
- Scanning electron microscopy and EDX analysis
- XPS (and full data interpretation)
- Water analysis – scaling potential, standard chemical analysis
- Failure analysis
- Oilfield corrosion assessment
Tribology and Surface Engineering
- Assessment of wear surfaces
- Tribotesting and analysis of tribofilms
- Assessment of coating integrity
- Surface wettability evaluation
- In-situ flow visualisation
- Flow modelling
- Analysis of complex fluids (inc. rheological characterisation)
- Customised process simulation software
- CFD analysis
We also have expertise in Combustion and Thermodynamics and Engineering Optics.